[squeak-dev] The Inbox: System-ct.1131.mcz

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Sun Jan 19 12:59:07 UTC 2020

Hi Jakob,

> > You mean Kernel-Objects?

> There is no such thing in the Trunk repository.

Oh, sorry, I had created it by accident in past (before I realized that PackageInfo >> #named: does not only perform a lookup, but also constructs a package if necessary).

> In addition to what I wrote, maybe take a look at PackagePaneBrowser.

Yes, I already prepared an extension of its package menu, too, it's still waiting in my image :)

> > Still, what I would like to make possible with this feature is to browse all extensions of Tools-Inspector, for example -- which is not an extra package, but only a system category. Personally, I would find this quite useful in certain situations.

> What exactly do you want to see? List all extension methods on classes in the selected category? Or find all extension methods outside of the selected category?

The latter.
For example, the Tools package defines a lot of extension methods over the whole system.
There are many '*Tools-Inspector' extension categories, many '*Tools-Debugger' extension categories and so on ...

[self systemNavigation browseAllExtensionsOf: Inspector package] will bring up all extensions to the Tools package, which is fine.
But it would be great if [self systemNavigation browseAllExtensionsOf: Inspector category] brought up all extension to the Tools package that are specific to the Inspector only, instead.

> it does not make sense to search for extensions provided by Tools-Inspector, does it?

I think it could make sense indeed, see above. As you stated, we don't need overlapping packages, but in my scenario, it would be helpful to filter extensions by a higher granularity than packages.

What you can do at the moment is manual filtering:
[cid:a1998ea8-e891-46ee-abdd-c8abaf2f4b67]

Best,
Christoph