[squeak-dev] Swiki notes

Chris Cunnington brasspen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 18:14:01 UTC 2020

I guess I’ll jot down a few notes about the Swiki over the next few days in no particular order for anybody who’s interested. Some of this stuff will likely start to wilt under close scrutiny, but I think it should give a good quick sketch and save people time. I’ve started a new thread to make it easier to find in future.

> On Jan 27, 2020, at 9:02 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> It might be a good idea to open a new squeaksource.com <http://squeaksource.com/> project to
> capture the existing (old) swiki code in a Monticello package, and
> then apply updates to that as we bring things up to date. The new
> project should have a pointer back to http://wiki.squeak.org/swiki/15 <http://wiki.squeak.org/swiki/15>
> along with credits to the original authors.

It’d be easy to push some code into squeaksource.com. I’m just not sure what parts.
There are basically three: Comanche stuff; Swiki-Comanche connection; and Swiki. The first two parts have to be thrown out. I don’t think Comanche works on 5.2 (nor should it.) I said this to Hannes and Edgar and they weren’t too thrilled with me. So, I’d guess it needs to be ported to WebServer. That means at the moment the only parts to save to SqueakSource would be Swiki categories with no server. It might be good to figure out its future server before pushing code into a repository. It’s a thought.

> I notice also that Nicola Mingotti has quite recently added some
> swiki enhancements in www.squeaksource.com/SwikiExtraUtils <http://www.squeaksource.com/SwikiExtraUtils> so it may
> well be that a few people have swiki enhancements waiting to be
> adopted.

I think this is a scraper for harvesting Swiki content. Likely to put it into HelpBook.

. Get the text area of a 'wiki.squeak.org' page.
. ----- Example -----
tmp := SwikiWeb getPageTextarea: 'http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2821'
	user: 'squeak' pass: 'viewpoints'.

tmp

A few notes on Swiki. It uses a Shelf—>Book—>Page metaphor. If you visit this page http://wiki.squeak.org/ <http://wiki.squeak.org/> you will see one shelf with two books. Page are self explanatory, I think. If you visit this page https://swikis.ddo.jp/ <https://swikis.ddo.jp/> you’ll see one shelf with ten books. Swiki is meant to be a collection of wikis for a group of people.

In the Swiki-Structure category you’ll see SwikiShelf, SwikiBook and NuSwikiPage. I think Nu- means New and replaced some earlier version of a SwikiPage.

The behaviour	is all in the image. The state is all in the files.

The file structure default is always a directory called swiki. It has three directories inside that ani, default, and refs. When you boot up a new image, you point the application at the swiki directory wherever it is.

When you start rooting around in these directories you will see files named things like 1.xml, 2.xml or just 1,2,3. Exploring these files in the desktop can feel sickening. You’re not supposed to do that. These are xml files and files containing snippets of Smalltalk code.

You’re supposed to explore those files using the SwikiBrowser. It’s a file browser looking into those directories on disk. You open it with something like:

(SwikiBrowser asMorphOnShelf: shelf label: label) openInWorld.

I guess I’ll leave it there for now.

Chris

The Police - Demolition Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpYrXHT1v9g