[squeak-dev] SequenceableCollection #= method in current trunk differs from Squeak 5.2

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 21:36:18 UTC 2020

> For example, is it better to do this (I really do not know):
>
>    self species = otherCollection species

Nicolas' arguments for Collections-nice.820 are sound, the challenge is
that some apps, that don't care about equivalence between Intervals and
Array's, were affected in a negative way, and left no good way to fix their
code.  There's a tendency to want to dismiss them with "use
hasEqualElements:" without understanding why hasEqualElements: can't fix
the core issue -- the inability to define implementation-specific
subclasses with symmetric equivalence (e.g., like ByteString and WideString
did for String).

IMO, this is the question we should address.  I posed that we should factor
out this common type-checking behavior, repeated throughout the class
library, into its own method on Object.  I think it could work..

 - Chris