[squeak-dev] Squeak on Ubuntu 18.04 desktop

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 05:58:55 UTC 2020

On 05/07/20 5:19 am, Chris Muller wrote:
> I put both of the above into separate .desktop files at
> ~/.local/share/applications.  After an afternoon of tinkering, what I
> found was a little strange -- for the icon, Ubuntu 18.04 seems to use
> whichever desktop file was launched first.  However, even though it gets
> the icon wrong, it at least uses the right Exec= vm specification.   I
> tried changing the StartupWMClass on one of them, but it didn't work.
> But, I can at least work again..  :)
Chris,

XDG uses lazy binding for resource paths using many env variables, so it
is best to use xdg-utils to get/set them and avoid hard-coded paths.  An
easily overlooked aspect is that env variables for GUI launched programs
come via .xsessionrc and not .bashrc or its relatives. So if your app
works from command line but not from GUI launch, you know where to look
;-). Getting everything right in 18.04 is a chore!

If you are developing your own launcher for your app, it is easier to
use the gnome-desktop-icon-edit utility to create the .desktop launcher
file.

For icons, it is better to create a theme with icons of different
resolutions (start with one) and install them using xdg-icon-resource
command (part of xdg-utils package).

HTH .. Subbu