[squeak-dev] AllocationTest>>#testOutOfMemorySignal fails on 32bit system

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 19:31:08 UTC 2020

Hi Tim,

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 4:35 PM tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> On a Raspberry Pi OS 32bit this test fails because of an oversight - the
> parameter passed to vmParameterAt:put: cannot exceed SmallInteger maxVal.
> It makes the careful testing for 32/64bit image seem a bit silly.

On looking at the VM codee it's clear that this is really a VM bug, and the
vmParameter primitives really should accept/return full width integers for
this parameter.  I've fixed it and pushed.  So feel free to revert the
image fix at some stage.

This means we can only ask for up to ~1GB space for free space on a 32bit
> image system and so I propose to clamp the requested value in
> AllocationTest>>#setFreeSpaceLimitOf:around: There don't appear to be any
> other places right now that need attention.
>
> If I don't hear any outraged screams soon I'll just commit it to trunk.
>
> tim
> --
> Strange OpCodes: IG: Insert Garbage

I have a whole architecture for this ;-)

best, Eliot