[squeak-dev] Missing auth headers in WebClient request (was: Squot and Github)

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Sat Jul 11 12:25:05 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Am Sa., 11. Juli 2020 um 13:53 Uhr schrieb Eric Gade <eric.gade at gmail.com>:

>> Could you please inspect whether the `response request` actually
>> contains authentication headers? I have seen in the past that
>> sometimes the WebClient does not send them when it should.
>

> It looks to me like the WebClient's response request (the original request sent I assume) headers *don't* have any Auth information: ` 'an OrderedCollection(''Content-Type''->''application/x-git-receive-pack-request'' ''Content-Length''->5343 ''User-Agent''->''git/2.0.5'' ''Host''->''github.com'')'`

To me these missing auth headers look like a WebClient bug because the
GitSmartHTTPProtocol class (comes with the Git Browser) clearly
supplies the credentials to the client (see
discoverReferencesForService:, requestCredentials, applyCredentials)
and uses the same WebClient instance for the whole push operation,
which entails two requests (discover references is the first, invoke
receive pack is the second).

If the misbehavior triggers, the second request is usually the one
that is missing the auth headers. I have already seen this
sporadically myself, but not lately. Repeating the request (by
restarting the method) usually resolves the problem.

Does anyone have a hint? It is possible that I have wrong expectations
about the WebClient interface and how it remembers the credentials...

Kind regards,
Jakob