[squeak-dev] We need to talk about graphics

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Sun Jul 12 18:23:52 UTC 2020

Hi Eric,

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 4:16 PM Eric Gade <eric.gade at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nile seems like a fascinating option and I've tried to read as much about
> it as I can. Unfortunately aside from the various posted talks online and
> the VPRI papers, there's not a lot of information about using it (unless I
> am missing something -- you can track a github issue about its status here
> <https://github.com/damelang/nile/issues/3>). My guess is that the Gezira
> part, of which there is even less information, is very closely tied to the
> specific Frank environment in which it was used -- is that correct? Using
> plain Squeak how would one even incorporate Nile?

Nile and the graphics engine Gezira written in Nile was quite independent
from Squeak. Vanessa made a VM plugin for the C-version of Gezira runtime,
and the bindings code issues Gezira requests from Squeak. That part can is
reusable. But going through the VM plugin had some overhead, and also
Gezira does not on purpose provide optimization for common cases or special
cases (such as filling an integer coordinate rectangle with a uniform
color, etc.) so performance characteristics was not always a win.

There was other comments about JITting. It is potentially a great idea but
it'd be a quite effort to make sure the multi core execution (or even using
GPU) sane and efficient.

--
-- Yoshiki