[squeak-dev] We need to talk about graphics

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Sun Jul 12 18:28:14 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 1:40 PM tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> What are we going to actually try to do here? Who has time/interest/skill?
>
> The Nile/Gezira stuff obviously sounds great but there is the question of
> actually getting it working usefully, let alone finishing it. Will that
> ever happen? Is what exists good enough and complete enough to be of use?

The current implementation probably is not going to work.  I think the
C-runtime does not work on a 64-bit environment, IIRC.

There is a downloadable 'Frank' image that seems to start up ok at
> http://tinlizzie.org/~ohshima/Frank-170908.zip  It is a Squeak 4.4 image
> as far as I can tell so you need an older VM of roughly that vintage -
> pre-Spur anyway.

As long as the VM plugin mechanism has not changed that much, it should be
relatively easy to bring it up to date.

> The small examples mostly work ok (see things like GeziraCanvas
> class>example* & GZKernel class>example*) though one or two take a very
> long time.

Such an example is using the Squeak-runtime; that is all stream data was
processed in the interpreter and each kernel does its job one by one to
illustrate that you can have different Nile runtimes and the core idea is
very simple.  Performance was not a goal for the Squeak-runtime.
--
-- Yoshiki