[squeak-dev] FileList improvements (was Re: A big thank you to whoever made the tree in FileList display in alphabetical order)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Jul 24 19:04:01 UTC 2020

> On 2020-07-23, at 8:36 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It depends on how many and how deep the directories you have, and what kind of HD they're on.

Yes, I guess the directory tree traversing might take a long time in some cases; which in itself is probably sometihng deserving some profiling. Also one might consider a better navigation idiom than the rather (over, in my opinion) extensive "all the subdirectories of my parent directory and up we go" approach. It is (was) a *major* pain for RISC OS because of the expectation of multiple filing systems related to devices that have to try to spin up CDs etc just to decide whether there is a root there. But that just opens up a long complaint about the appalling state of filename handling.

>  But another few seconds quickly accumulates simply from having to grab the mouse just to regain focus on the field where I can type the filename.

The keyboard focus is in the text field immediately the dialogue is opened, so that ought not be a problem. I guess if it really has taken multiple seconds to build the directory tree morph then one might have moved the mousse around in that time and changed that?

The thing that I suspect would make a lot of people happy and have uses in many dialogue related situations is the building of a collapsing dialogue section. We had some discussion of the idea a while back and Marcel tried a few ideas. The dialogue ought to open with a label, the text field and an 'click me for more' icon - something vaguely like this -

Clicking the down-caret would open it up to a full directory handling tree widget. I believe this would be a major improvement.

tim
Fractured Idiom:- HASTE CUISINE - Fast French food