[squeak-dev] Debugging of other processes with wait

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Wed Jul 29 08:14:16 UTC 2020

Hi Jakob.

Just think of two processes: consumer and producer -- shared queue with semaphore in between. How can we have two debuggers that enable us to step each process alternatingly. Your case with the UI process is just a special instance of an overall challenge we might want to address in Squeak's debugging  infrastructure.

I think that we added #effectiveProcess only for process-local variables? Or did we already tackle some semaphore/mutex issues with it?

... maybe the debugger should consider whether a process could be scheduled at all? I don't think that Squeak's processes encode this state at the moment. They are either scheduled or not. The latter could mean anything: waiting for a semaphore, manually suspended for debugging, ...

Best,
Marcel
Am 28.07.2020 21:24:02 schrieb Jakob Reschke <forums.jakob at resfarm.de>:
Am Mo., 27. Juli 2020 um 11:19 Uhr schrieb Marcel Taeumel
:

> Could we always use the fallback code? Hmmm....

Would it help in this particular situation? "Primitive failed" is "not
fully functional" compared to a real Semaphore>>wait. And I doubt that
it would be right to put in some debugging stub in the fallback
implementation (e. g. a busy wait), though it might be okay. So the
general question would be: what to do when essential primitives are
encountered? And in particular the ones that will block...