[squeak-dev] Object>>printOn: refined.

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 15:00:56 UTC 2020

On 03/06/20 5:48 pm, Trygve Reenskaug wrote:

> I clearly need to identify the objects when I see
> them. I understand that other people have other models and need other
> debugging aids. I believe some people don't need my /printOn:/ variant
> because they simplify things by merging the concepts of class and
> instance: "This class sends /open /to that class." It works well as long
> as you can get away with it.

+1. The fun in live programming is all about dealing directly with
instances. Since instances only have numeric oops, I see no harm in
using it as an identity tag.

> The /printOn/:-method does not add to the complexity of the 491 methods
> of class Object; it merely modifies one of them. The method is harmless
> in that it does not influence program execution.

+1.

The only tweak I would suggest is to use class name as a prefix in
lowercase to be consistent (e.g. t1, t2 for temps in disassembled code
or references to dropped morphs in workspaces).

   nextPut: self class name withFirstCharacterDownshifted;
   nextPutAll: self asOop printString truncateTo: 4.
rectangle12 is easier on the eye than "[12] aRectangle". A suffix of
'..' to indicate truncation, perhaps.

Class will have to override this method to print the name instead of
classclass1233.

Regards .. Subbu