[squeak-dev] Object>>printOn: refined.

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Thu Jun 4 08:53:20 UTC 2020

> You +1'd the idea of sending #asOop from #printOn:.

Nope. I +1'd the idea to be applied to #defaultLabelForInspector because of that "super" issue.

Best,
Marcel
Am 03.06.2020 21:57:01 schrieb Chris Muller <ma.chris.m at gmail.com>:
Hi Marcel,

It seems there are a couple of different dimensions to consider.  You +1'd the idea of sending #asOop from #printOn:.  I'm definitely a -1 on that, because it would force everywhere that doesn't want id to override printOn:, and they wouldn't even be able to call "super"!  And even if they DO want id printing, overriding #asOop means they're forced to mix concatenation with streaming, which isn't a good idea.  To stay with streaming, you would at least want a,#printOopOn:, but that name is too domain-specific.  (#asOop is already a common selector in persistence frameworks, I think).

A generic, supplementary printing method that works on a Stream avoids those issues, and can be either a no-op in Object, OR, Object>>#printOn: could check if it #respondsTo: it, allowing the supplementary method to be provided on Object by external frameworks without dirtying the Kernel package.

Over the years, I've found having a separate, String-based "id" representation (that is not always it's oop / oid), and not any of its other attributes of its standard #printString, to be a useful extrusion of behavior for disparate domain hierarchies to inherit rather than each implement their own.

Best,
  Chris

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 3:24 AM Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de [mailto:marcel.taeumel at hpi.de]> wrote:

Hi Chris.

> Seeing just their identifications removes a level of formality that seems to foster a better UI "connection" to the objects.

Domain-specific objects can provide a good-enough identification in their #printOn: specialization. Maybe the class name is part of it. Maybe not. If you develop a database, for example, you surely have another notion of identity. Meaning, other than Object >> #identityhash or #oop. That other notion of (compact) identity should then be part of an object's print-string that is part of the database.

Yet, nothing one can foresee, when thinking about Object >> #printOn:. There, you have only the meta-object protocol at hand: class name, identity hash, maybe ref counter? :-D Having a new subclass of Object, what should that #printOn: look like out-of-the-box? The class name is fine. So you can actually see that your new class' instances are populating the world. Next step should be to implement a custom #printOn: in that new class.

Best,
Marcel