[squeak-dev] PROPOSAL: UN-St (United Nations of Smalltalk)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Fri Jun 5 00:42:34 UTC 2020

Eliot Miranda wrote on Thu, 4 Jun 2020 13:21:58 -0700
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 9:17 AM Sean DeNigris wrote:
> > Here is my proposal: Let's form an informal committee - a
> > United Nations of Smalltalk if you will - including at least one
> > member of each community, who will collaborate on
> > cooperation between the dialects and mediate any friction
> > before it boils over.
>
> As Esteban Maringolo implied, we tried that with Open Smalltalk.
> The attempt was rejected by Pharo, who forked their repository
> and refused to contribute back.

This was about the development of the shared VM, while Sean is proposing
something at the community level.

If it is only Pharo, Squeak and Cuis then I agree it is essentially Open
Smalltalk. I would prefer something that could include VisualWorks and
Object Studio (Cincom), VA Smalltalk (Instantiations), GNU Smalltalk,
Tumbleweed, Amber, U8, Redline, Sharp-Smalltalk, Dolphin, Smalltalk/X,
Gemstone/S and Self. Are there any other non dead communities?

-- Jecel