[squeak-dev] The Inbox: System-dtl.1164.mcz

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Tue Jun 9 19:43:56 UTC 2020

> On 09.06.2020, at 21:06, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>

>> On 2020-06-09, at 11:52 AM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>>
>> Funny you should mention it, that's how I went down this rabbit hole
>> in the first place. I was thinking that it would be an obviously good
>> thing to do if we could evaluate a doIt or named script file immediately
>> on image startup, as opposed to waiting until all of the Etoys script
>> processing comes to life somewhere later in the startUp process.
>
> Exactly. Note that VW has several commandline switches we might want to learn from
>
> -filein {some file names}
> -doit {some strings}
> -evaluate {a single string & write result to stdout & quit
> -cli {start a commandline loop}

Just for information, this is from RSqueak:

    Usage: ./rsqueak [-r|-m|-h] [-naPu] [-jpiS] [-tTslL] <path> [--] [Squeak arguments]
            <path> - image path (default: Squeak.image)
            Squeak arguments are passed on to the Squeak image rather than being processed.

          Execution:
            -r|--run <code>  - Code will be compiled and executed in
                               headless mode, result printed.
            -m|--method <selector>
                             - Selector will be sent to nil in
                               headless mode, result printed.
            -n|--num <int>   - Only with -m or -r. SmallInteger to be used as
                               receiver (default: nil).
            -a|--arg <arg>   - Only with -m. Will be used as String argument.
            -P|--process     - Only with -m or -r. Disable headless mode.
                               A high-priority Process for the new context will
                               be created. The last active Process in the image
                               will be started, but then quickly switch to the
                               synthetic high-prio Process.
            -u|--stop-ui     - Only with -m or -r. Try to stop UI-process at
                               startup. Can help benchmarking.
            --shell          - Stop after loading the image. Any code typed is
                               compiled an run.

And some others.
(Admittedly, most are a bit overly specific, but have served well, especially the shell is cool)

Best regards
	-Tobias