[squeak-dev] Installer ensureRecentMetacello is now broken

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Wed Jun 17 08:50:48 UTC 2020

Hi Tim,

Am Di., 16. Juni 2020 um 22:43 Uhr schrieb tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org>:

> I can't even see a way to fix this locally right now because the stupidity around git appears to prevent finding the last-working versions. Just why exactly is anyone enamoured of this?

First let me second Tobias's vouch for Tom. After that, the above
remark triggered my sensitive side. ;-)

Can you tell us what exactly you tried to do to find the last-working versions?

In general, git is made for just these things and does not prevent
them, and works reliably. So I suspect there may be a problem with the
tools in Squeak around it (e. g. Metacello or the
download-repository-Monticello-adpaters involved). For example,
Metacallo sometimes needs some extra steps in a git-hosted project to
be able to update (or downgrade) it through Metacello. Or everything
worked as intended but it just did not solve your problem because it
was not related to a broken Metacello, as Tobias discussed with you,
we'll see.

Kind regards,
Jakob