[squeak-dev] [ANN] TruffleSqueak 20.1.0 released

Fabio Niephaus lists at fniephaus.com
Sun Jun 21 17:48:44 UTC 2020

On Sun, Jun 21, 2020 at 6:58 PM Robert Withers via Squeak-dev
<squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org> wrote:

> Oh wow! Great presentation! This is fantastic work you have done. It is
> on my list!

Thanks a lot, Robert!

> It struck me in a question towards the end about manipulating Java
> Threads. Here we have a solution to the multi-core case.
>
> In PromisesRemote, with a 16 core processor, create 15 Java Threads and
> have a different Vat running on each thread. Instead of doing a network
> connection between vats on the same core, use TruffleSqueak's foreign
> language argument passing to another Java Thread's Vat and do not touch
> it again. Do you think something like this might work?

I see no reason why this shouldn't work, at least conceptually. I'm
not sure what a Vat is, but I'm afraid you can't run TruffleSqueak on
multiple threads just yet. So far, that use case hasn't been a
priority... but you can let Java or some other GraalVM language with
proper threading support do any kind of work for you of course.

Cheers,
Fabio