[squeak-dev] Hierarchical naming service (was Re: Dual screen?)

Robert Withers robert.withers at pm.me
Fri Jun 26 18:28:37 UTC 2020

Hi tim, I wanted to comment on a couple of paragraphs. I will send
separate emails, in hopes to hear your views. First, regarding a
hierarchical naming/interface/consumer meta service.

On 6/26/20 1:55 PM, Robert Withers wrote:
> I am very interested in forming a Secure DNS, with hierarchical naming
> and local caching. I want to use it as an interface registry, as well,
> such that the ASN1 structure definitions are so shared. ASN1Modules are
> kinda hierarchical, but not completely. For example, I do not think I
> implemented any way to search up and down the tree, for a definition. I
> have further thoughts on auto deploying consumers for the various event
> structures, that may appear unexpectedly, so the engine would dyno-load
> the consumer package registered for that event type.

Another bit of work I did in this area, is the Eventual Linda
package(called ELinda on Cryptography or Oceanside). I added an ability
to register and pattern matcher with an eventual registration, which
schedules a reactor to react to an incoming event. I was trying to think
how to make it hierarchical in lookup and distribution. I did not get
very far but the eventual event registrations are there. I wanted to
combine an interface repository with a hierarchical naming service,
perhaps using ELinda for capability introduction.

K, rabbit