[squeak-dev] We need to talk about graphics

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Mon Jun 29 03:01:07 UTC 2020

Tim Rowledge wrote on Sun, 28 Jun 2020 17:53:21 -0700
> Seriously. We've been sitting around twiddling thumbs about better graphics for decades now.
>
> We had Balloon2D & 3D.
> We had 'Pooh graphics' to do vector forms.
> We have some excellent stuff being done by the Cuis crew.
> We have some amazing ideas from Nile/Gezira.
> We have a number of potential 3rd party graphics libraries we might adopt.
> We have an advanced JIT that could be used to make on-demand graphics routines either on their own or working with pretty much any of the above.
> We probably have other options I've not even heard of.

You didn't mention the original BitBlt and WarpBlit, which is
understandable if your focus is on vector graphics.

> Maybe we should actually do something? Can we at least talk about it?

Though the survey I did for the Board pointed to OpenGL ES as our best
option (at the time, things have changed since), it is not something I
personally like. I want something that is not a black box so I can
single step from the highest level to individual pixels when debugging
issues. But I also want it to take advantage of all available resources
(including GPUs, extra processors) by translating debugged code into
something else. I just don't want to debug in that something else, which
would be the case for OpenGL ES shaders.

Nile/Gezira + JIT would be my vote, but it has been planned for a long
time and, as far as I know, is not happening right now.

-- Jecel