[squeak-dev] Squeak/Opensmalltalk Funding and Organization

Eric Gade eric.gade at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 16:00:57 UTC 2020

Hi all,

What is the current organization for Squeak (and Opensmalltalk) when it
comes to funding? I know there is a Squeak Foundation, but can't really
find much information about it. Is there a relevant 501c3 that deals with
funding?

One of the reasons I'm asking is that it's very apparent there could be
lots of improvement across all current Smalltalks if there were more
funding. Has the Squeak board considered setting up a Patreon or similar
(there is even Github sponsored projects)? I know that startups like
Patreon are not a panacea to the large problems with funding projects and
basic research that exist today. Still, I think you could get a good share
of the active Smalltalk community to pony up $5 a month or for a year or
even more.

--
Eric