[squeak-dev] [Vm-dev] SHA512 squeak implementation?

Robert robert.withers at pm.me
Thu Mar 5 22:16:33 UTC 2020

Hey Nicolas,

To a very large extent, having these older dated functions available adds to the nature of Squeak Cryptography aas an encryption sandbox for educational experiences in studying cryptography. My ParrotTalk allows DES & TripleDES. Typically, I use AESCBC when running it. I think I am using SHA256.

I have just now folded in the Blowfish impplementation and subclassed uit from BlockCipher and adopted the BlockCipher protocol (#key:, #encryptBlock:, #decryptBlock:). All Blowfish tests call the old interface but that test class is present and green. New Blowfish tests of the BlockCipher protocol needs writing.

There is a newer version of Cryptography-v5.3-rww.119 with Blowfish included.

Having all these excellent variants of HashFunction, up to SHA512 would be a major addition to Cryptography, and I would need to change the settingsMap for ParrotTalk to include cipher and hash specifications. The forthcoming ParrotTalk v3.8 would adopt that, as well as naming and bridging for double encryption.

Kindly,
rabbit