[squeak-dev] Need some help to contribute

Stéphane Rollandin lecteur at zogotounga.net
Sun Mar 8 12:57:39 UTC 2020

Hello,

I have a change (attached) to submit to the inbox.

I do not know how to do this.

For some reason I have had a hard time convincing people that, really, I
do not know how to do this - and as a result I have been in the (recent)
past considered as a lazy bastard unwilling to contribute and expecting
people to do the work for me (private communication, no hard feeling,
but still not very comfortable, see what I mean E.?).

This is not the case. I am not (such) a lazy bastard. I would very much
like to submit things by myself and not bother people.

*I just do not know how to do this*. Is that clear?

So today I would like to learn. This is what I did:

I read this post by Dave:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2017-October/195561.html

Seems comprehensive enough. Thanks Dave.

So I took a fresh 5.3 image and updated it. I filed in my code.

Then I did everything Dave says up to stage 3 B), where *I do not see
the trunk repository* on the right. I do see the inbox repository
though, the one I added at stage 2 A) to F).

So I select the inbox repository at right.

At this point, if I select on the left side the Kernel package and click
on the "Changes" button, I get an error: 'Missing smapshot Kernel-mt.119'

And if I add the package Kernel-Numbers and select this one, and click
on the "Changes" button I see a long list of methods. Obviously not the
expected diff.

Fortunately at this point, in 3 D) Dave says "If something looks wrong,
stop and ask for tips on the squeak-dev list." That I can do.

Tips?

Stef