[squeak-dev] Squeak/Opensmalltalk Funding and Organization

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Mar 9 00:46:46 UTC 2020

> On 2020-03-03, at 8:00 AM, Eric Gade <eric.gade at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> What is the current organization for Squeak (and Opensmalltalk) when it comes to funding? I know there is a Squeak Foundation, but can't really find much information about it. Is there a relevant 501c3 that deals with funding?

Squeak is a member project of the Software Freedom Conservancy (https://sfconservancy.org) which is indeed a USA 501( c )(3) organisation. You can make project directed donations to Squeak via PayPal using the not-as-visible-as-it-should-be heart icon at the top right of the home page of squeak.org.

Currently we are alarmingly close to broke, but then we have very low expenses (though there appears to be some current concern about server charges despite a supposed sponsorship arrangement for the SFC). We really ought to have more in the bank.

I've previously advocated for donations along the lines of a dollar per year for every year you have used Squeak as a hobbyist. Or perhaps make that $10 if you use Squeak for business. If you run a business that relies upon Squeak then it really ought not be too much to ask for a few hundred bucks a year.

tim
How many of you believe in telekinesis? Raise my hands....