[squeak-dev] #recompile:from: does not apply syntax error fixes

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Mar 16 19:40:38 UTC 2020

Hi all,

you remember Compiler-ct.417? I have been carrying this change around with my image for a few months, and when the migration to Sista was published recently, I got a number of SyntaxErrors from Trunk methods that do not follow the vertical bar rule we agreed on. I'll fix these errors, depending on Compiler-ct.417, soon - however, I think there could be a problem with the current #recompile:from: logic. After fixing the Syntax errors while all selectors were being recompiled, the new source code had not been applied to the methods. I think the reason could be that we reuse the old method trailer instead of simply starting with a fresh one.

But I don't know many details about CompiledMethodTrailers. Would it be a good idea to discard the old trailer when recompiling any method? Concretely, we could send #generate to methodNode rather than #generate:.

Best,

Christoph