[squeak-dev] [Vm-dev] Squeak5.3 linux ARMv6 segfaults on startup

Bruce O'Neel bruce.oneel at pckswarms.ch
Fri Mar 20 13:16:53 UTC 2020

HI,

> > On 2020-03-19, at 11:38 AM, Bruce O'Neel wrote:
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > If I change to say Bitmap Dejavu sans it looks good.
> >
> > Cycling through the font list with Cmd K all the fonts that begin BitstreamVeraSans are Klingon, and ComicSansMS is the same though for ComicSans that's not a great loss.
>
> That's .... ridiculous. I can use any of the fonts and they all look fine.
>
> We do (as an aside) have a problem with the TextStyles in that something got messed up a few releases ago and doesn't seem to be fixed yet. Probably we need to rebuld and incorporate a few new free fonts (it's not like there aren't plenty available)
>
> Are you able to try the direct display or VNC stuff?

I specialize in ridiculous.  Good news, I guess, is that I dug up a monitor, and, walked it downstairs with a keyboard and mouse and attached it.  The effect with the BitstreamVeraSans and ComicSans fonts are the same.  Maybe it likes serfed fonts?

So that means that it is not some funky X11 over the wire problem with the Mac and Windows X11 servers problem.  That's good.

I have no idea then why.  Are these fonts part of the image?  Is it some funky binary format that for some reason Coq is mis-reading?

I built a stack VM and I get the same result with a Squeak 5.3 image.

Just so we're clear I'm working with this version:

commit 102b0fa831e2f793620a9a4cf94369d696e7920f
Author: Eliot Miranda
Date:   Tue Mar 17 19:01:16 2020 -0700

    CogVM source as per VMMaker.oscog-eem.2728

cheers

bruce> tim