[squeak-dev] self error: 'comment only'

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 04:57:22 UTC 2020

On 23/03/20 12:20 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
> Hi all,
> since Tim raised the subject, let's return to caesar
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literate_programming
> Otherwise, what Subbu said makes a lot of sense for me.

Thank you for your supportive words.

LP was a great idea for creating books or articles describing code in
languages like Pascal or C, but it doesn't fit our needs. Times have
changed. Squeak code graph is huge, live and 3D [1]. A static linear
rendering will be woefully inadequate.

[1] Craig Latta's Nexus demo https://youtu.be/xCwidGFkn4Q

I expect a modern guide to be like the guided tours in science expos or
film studios - live, direct, concrete and interactive. It should be
built with the same materials and operated by the same tools (staff) as
the rest of the system.

As Timothy and Tim have pointed out, we already have most of the low
level support (doclets, hypertext, help topics) in place. We need a high
level perspective and design to get them to work together to create a
seamless experience.

Regards .. Subbu