[squeak-dev] DoubleWordArray broken in Pharo

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 13:28:06 UTC 2020

Hi Robert,

Le sam. 28 mars 2020 à 13:44, Robert via Squeak-dev <
squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org> a écrit :

> Hey Levente,
>
> I dug a little deeper into the Pharo issue with Cryptography and it IS a
> VM issue, I think. Primitive 61 is failing in DoubleWordArray>>#at:put:.
>

> Pharo seems totally uninterested in fixing this

What makes you think so?
If you open an issue on github, provide a failing test case, then I see no
reason why they would not fix it.

However, it might be that they are not interested at all in Cryptography
package because they already forked it twice.
The first fork was on SmalltalkHub, because they did not consider
squeaksource as reliable (which was once not entirely false).
Rather than collaborating, their primary reaction is always to fork. It
avoids making trade offs, they don't like the IDEA of trade offs ;).
They also don't want to depend too much on a something that they can't
control, it's seen as a weakness.
Then they re-forked to github using new Tonel format. The new fork is
legitimated by the migration to new tools.
So good luck if you want to sell them the updated package.

> so I wanted to ask you, is there any way Cryptography can avoid reliance
> on DoubleWordArray?
>
> Is it really worth it? IMO, no in the context I gave above!
If it's really important for you, try to have some fix integrated in Pharo.

Kindly,