[squeak-dev] DoubleWordArray broken in Pharo

Levente Uzonyi leves at caesar.elte.hu
Sat Mar 28 14:16:35 UTC 2020

Hi Robert,

No, it's not a VM bug. My analysis I sent to you earlier is correct. It's
that in Pharo DoubleWordArray is a variableWordSubclass instead of a
variableDoubleWordSubclass. The latter is not available in Pharo.
Here's the link to the issue they created based on my analysis you sent
to them: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/5956

In theory, yes, it would be possible to rewrite SHA-512 and its related
hash functions to avoid using DoubleWordArray, but I see no value in doing
that.
Pharo simply failed to properly integrate DoubleWordArray. It's there but
it's disfunctional. Just wait until they fix it.

Levente

P.S.: This is pretty much off topic on squeak-dev.