[squeak-dev] Squeak in FreeBSD

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 14:41:22 UTC 2020

Hi Tobias,

> On Mar 28, 2020, at 4:48 AM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Edwin
>
>> On 28.03.2020, at 01:19, Edwin Ancaer <eancaer at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ok, it says it should build out of the box, so I cloned the git repository for the opensmalltalk-vm.
>>
>> TheHowToBuild says:
>>                 Then cd to the build directory of your choice, e.g.
>>                                 build.linux64x64/squeak.cog.spur/build
>>                 Then execute ./mvm
>>
>> This is what I did (I took the stack vm because I thought this was the easiest to build);
>> cd build.linux64x64/squeak.stack.spur/build
>> $ ./mvm
>> platforms/Cross/vm/sqSCCSVersion.h not up-to-date.
>> You must run ../../../scripts/updateSCCSVersions
>> $ cd ../../../scripts
>> $ cd ..
>> $ cd build.linux64x64/squeak.stack.spur/build
>> $ ../../../scripts/updateSCCSVersions
>> fatal: platforms/Cross/plugins/sqPluginsSCCSVersion.h: no such path in the working tree.
>> Use 'git <command> -- <path>...' to specify paths that do not exist locally.
>>
>> If asking these questions shows my knowledge is not at the right level,no problem, just tell me. It will save my and your time.
>> I always have Windows as an alternative. :-(
>
> You need to run this script in the root of the checkout. Sorry that this is not made more clear.

Yesterday I got bit by this when doing an MSVC compile of the Terf VM.  So I fixed it for the windows and Mac makefiles (well, almost; Nicolas corrected a slip I made with the mingw/Cygwin windows makefiles).

The fix is simply to search for the unexpanded version string whenever extracting stings from sqSCCSVersion.h.  Will anyone volunteer to make similar changes to the Unix makefiles?  To the plugin builds?