[squeak-dev] Etiquette of adding a Class side *method category and method to ProtoObject

Vanessa Freudenberg vanessa at codefrau.net
Mon May 18 21:54:31 UTC 2020

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 12:43 PM gettimothy via Squeak-dev <
squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org> wrote:

> Hi Foks,
>
> TL;DR; is it a "BAD THING TO DO" to add a class side method to ProtoObject?

Yes.

> Each Class will respond to the "help" class side method , so I figured
> start at the top with ProtoObject

The top is Object. ProtoObject is an implementation detail. We like to
ignore it even exists.

> I am going to try a Visitor/Decorator pattern for every class in the system

If this is for all *classes*, then the natural place to put it would be the
*instance* side of *Class*, since all classes are (sub)instances of Class.

- Vanessa -