[squeak-dev] Etiquette of adding a Class side *method category and method to ProtoObject

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Tue May 19 11:02:58 UTC 2020

On 19/05/20 1:13 am, gettimothy via Squeak-dev wrote:
> I am going to dabble with my idea of re-working help in Smalltalk.
>

> Each Class will respond to the "help" class side method , so I
> figured start at the top with ProtoObject

There are already two "help" methods in Squeak:

HelpBrowser new openOn: aClass

This opens a window with class and method comments. It could do with
some improvements (i.e. strip out place holder comments, hot link text
to open class browser/hierarchy browser etc.). The help browser pops up
randomly on the screen. A better place would be just below the Help
button on the main docking bar. It will help draw attention to this
button. The ALT/CMD-? key is currently unused. It could be used to
invoke global or contextual (e.g. after a selection).

There is also the contextual help TextEditor>>explain. Currently, it
inserts help text in the editing pane. Instead it could use a balloon
help on hover.

Regards .. Subbu