[squeak-dev] Etiquette of adding a Class side *method category and method to ProtoObject

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Tue May 19 13:27:10 UTC 2020

---- On Tue, 19 May 2020 07:02:58 -0400 K K Subbu <mailto:kksubbu.ml at gmail.com> wrote ----

There are already two "help" methods in Squeak:

Hi,

Now there are three if you want them:

MCHttpRepository

location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/Doc'

user: 'tty'

password: ''

Doc help

'I am Squeak help that is solely CLI based.

The idiom is "command line" only, similar to Linux man or GNU info way of doing things.

Doc help

2020.05.19

Goals: display a class comment. Update a class comment, append to a class comment. prepend to a classs comment.

Problem statement:

There is plenty of Help available for Squeak, however, it is NOT in Squeak.

Empirically people do not like to write help  as evidenced by Class comments or the HelpBrowser.

The problems therefore are "ease of creation",  "aggregation", "display"  and "storage".

Current thinking is to utilize Visitor and Decorator (?) Builder (?) patterns to build a me.

I will contain Doclets, which are things that wrap a particular kind of help: Use cases, examples, terse guide, mail discussionts, comments.

I will be building in comments , similar to StackOverFlow with ratings, date, etc.

I would love this thing to grow with Squeak over time.

all the best.

'