[squeak-dev] Trying out 5.3; typing is slow in Browser?

Tim Johnson digit at sonic.net
Wed May 20 20:46:38 UTC 2020

Hi Squeakers,

Been away for a while, but trying out 5.3 now.  Congratulations on another quality release.

I am wondering if anyone else has noticed typing into the code pane of a browser (seemingly a PluggableTextMorphPlus) being very slow*.  I haven't tried it with Shout (if syntax highlighting is still called that) turned off.

I'm noticing this now:  every character I type destroys the shadow beneath the browser window.  This seems like a very big "damage area," so to speak.  Could it have anything to do with the options I chose at the initial image configuration?

Any chance this slowness has already been witnessed and repaired?  Or is it just me?  Happy to test any available fixes.  Was about to run a little demo of Squeak for a coworker (in 22 minutes now), but ... maybe I'll go back to 5.2 for the demo.

FWIW, I do recall discovering, and submitting a fix for, another issue similar to this sometime in the last 2-3 years — something about the extent (?) of text-related morph extended far beyond the bottom of the area containing it (?) but that is all a distant memory to me now.  My change was discussed on the list, but I don't recall if it was accepted into trunk (I think it was) and of course have no idea whether it was cherrypicked for release (if that's something that happens).

Thanks,
Tim

* macOS 10.14, 64-bit, 2.9 GHz 6-core Intel Core i9