[squeak-dev] whisker browser

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Mon May 25 07:22:44 UTC 2020

Hi Martin,

if you are interesting in alternative program exploration in Squeak/Smalltalk, you might want to also take a look at Vivide. :-)

https://github.com/hpi-swa/vivide [https://github.com/hpi-swa/vivide]

https://publishup.uni-potsdam.de/44428 [https://publishup.uni-potsdam.de/44428]

Best,
Marcel
Am 24.05.2020 15:26:35 schrieb Martin Kuball <martinkuball at web.de>:
Hi!

I haven't used squeak for programing in years (yes, I know it's sad). Now that
I do, I noticed that there is no whisker package for 5.3. Well actually there
seems to be no package at all any more. So my question is, does anybody has a
whisker version that plays well with the current squeak version?

Meanwhile I loaded the version I used in 3.9. Had to fix some deprecated
warnings and some errors during initialization. I have it running now. But
it's missing some of the new features - like the icons - of the system
browser.

While fixing the errors I noticed the following method:

StringMorph>>font: aFont emphasis: emphasisCode

self
setFont: ((aFont isNil or: [aFont emphasis = emphasisCode] or:
[emphasisCode isNil])
ifTrue: [aFont]
ifFalse: [aFont emphasized: emphasisCode])
emphasis: (emphasisCode ifNil: [aFont emphasis]).

The check (aFont isNil) seems to imply that nil is a valid value here. But if
you try, the method fails at [aFont emphasis].

Martin