[squeak-dev] The Inbox: System-mt.1161.mcz

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Wed May 27 10:35:38 UTC 2020

On 27/05/20 11:55 am, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
>> I prefer HostPlatform to be an abstract class with UnixHostPlatform or
> MacHostPlatform subclasses like in OSProcess.
>
> Hmm.... -1 :-) This would encourage to put more stuff into those
> subclasses. I think that a simple #isUnix etc. check should suffice in
> most cases. From there, you can employ any host-platform specific class
> that you application (or framework or library) has prepared for such a
> domain. No need to put it too much bloat in such a lightweight mechanism
> for the base system.

Yes, we need to watch out for code bloat. I only wanted to point out the
risk of conflation between platform (user/kernel interface), system
(kernel/hardware interface), data model (ILP32, ILP64, LP64, LLP64 etc.)
and ISA (x86, amd64, arm, arm64..). #isUnix is too broad a check.

Perhaps a separate thread may be needed to explore conflation risk.

Regards .. Subbu