[squeak-dev] Files | #startUp and #shutDown in FileDirectory

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Thu May 28 16:00:26 UTC 2020

On 28/05/20 6:56 pm, David T. Lewis wrote:
> Yes I think that is the reason. The image snapshot should contain
> little or no platform-specific stuff,

I guess you meant process-specific state. After a snapshot, an image may
be resumed by a VM process on the same platform, but we shouldn't be
holding on per-process states like namespace handles, file handles,
sockets, security context, gpu states etc.

I always wondered why Squeak choose a single entry point in classes for
coldStart and warmResume. Expecting classes to resolve these conditions
means that every class has to test the resuming flag again to branch out
to different code paths.

Embedded system programmers would do something like:

coldStart: hwOptions "pass hardware detected/selected here"
       "initialize virtualized h/w state (e.g. display, input)"
       "load session options (e.g. saved prefs)"
       self warmResume: sessionOptions

warmResume: sessionOptions "pass session specific configs here"

Regards .. Subbu