[squeak-dev] Undeclared 'nanos' in Cryptology extension to DateAndTime

Robert robert.withers at pm.me
Fri May 29 08:14:42 UTC 2020

Hi Paul,

Oh dear. Truly, I meant no offense to you, and clearly that term of larceny applies not, as you were original author,

i wrote:

> I really was thinking more along the lines of those other two links you mentioned below. They were not original authors, to my knowledge.

I also tried to create github repos [1] for some aspects of Cryptography, particularly ParrotTalk. This was during the time when I was attempting to have both environments load Cryptography source. I rapidly lost this ability as Pharo started using Tonel and lost the ability to load Monticello. I have been excited to learn someone, I forget who, was working on a Tonel port to Squeak. This is good.

> Also, for completeness of your list, its since been copied and modified
> here:
>
> https://github.com/pharo-contributions/Cryptography

Yes, this one was the port I was thinking about. I apologize for hitching my complaint of this port in the thread speaking of the SmalltalkHub code.

I read the phrase “on the Pharo list because who cares about other users.” and it triggered my reaction. The lack of mutuality really gets to me, as they “move forwards”, leaving all else behind. And frankly the attitude from them is they don’t give any ****s. If we want it in Squeak, then we can put in the efforts. I suppose that is the price of commercialization. It is challenging being orphaned and I potentially have abandonment issues. This is not the only thing they have so acquired.

> &
>
> https://github.com/GsDevKit/Cryptography

This link is new to me. Thank you for sharing.

> Hope this helps

It does. I hope you are not upset by what I have written, please don’t be.

Kindly,
Rabbit

[1] CallistoHouse - https://github.com/CallistoHouseLtd

> Paul
>
> Squeak - Dev mailing list wrote

>> pdebruic@

>>> It was announced to be shut down and replaced with a static site[1], but
>>> only on the Pharo list because who cares about other users.
>>
>> How unfortunate. I wanted to comment on the insular nature of their
>> larceny. Cryptography can only be published in the squeak source
>> repository. A lot of work went into it. Add it to the list...
>>
>> K, r
>>
>>> I suppose the migration[2] was not successful. The website complains
>>> about
>>> jquery not being loaded.
>>> Anyway, with some url mangling, the listing is available here:
>>> http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Cryptography/Cryptography/main
>>>

>>> Levente
>>> [1]
>>> http://forum.world.st/ANN-SmalltalkHub-Deprecation-Notice-td5114407.html