[squeak-dev] FFI | Byte alignment

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Fri May 29 19:05:49 UTC 2020

tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> schrieb am Fr., 29. Mai 2020, 20:58:

> Could always do this dynamically; write out the file, compile and run,
> read results, set values.
>
> Obviously there might be a small problem with needing to have ffi working
> to call the OS routines to write the file etc in order to derive the type
> parameter sizes... :-) A bit more seriously one could do this as part of
> some install/run scripting that we have already touched on doing to derive
> the right VM for the chosen image file and OS etc.

You do not want to require a compiler being set up generally accessible on
a Windows machine because, out of the box, the requirement is never met. ;-)

Don't want to install a C compiler to run Squeak on a fresh box.

> > On 2020-05-29, at 10:18 AM, Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de>
> wrote:
> >
> > Ha! So #isUnix but not #isARM? I can work with that. :-)
> >
> > Best,
> > Marcel

Does this depend on the OS at all? I thought it would depend on the
processor architecture alone.