[squeak-dev] FFI | Byte alignment

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri May 29 19:28:16 UTC 2020

> On 2020-05-29, at 12:05 PM, Jakob Reschke <forums.jakob at resfarm.de> wrote:
>
> tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> schrieb am Fr., 29. Mai 2020, 20:58:
> Could always do this dynamically; write out the file, compile and run, read results, set values.
>
> Obviously there might be a small problem with needing to have ffi working to call the OS routines to write the file etc in order to derive the type parameter sizes... :-) A bit more seriously one could do this as part of some install/run scripting that we have already touched on doing to derive the right VM for the chosen image file and OS etc.
>
> You do not want to require a compiler being set up generally accessible on a Windows machine because, out of the box, the requirement is never met. ;-)
>
> Don't want to install a C compiler to run Squeak on a fresh box.

But it's the Year of Linux on the Desktop! Nobody need ever use Windows again!

Also moderately seriously, I suspect that the values aren't so variable for Windows/Mac and thus running a suitable program once (maybe for 32 and 64 bit variants?) would be enough. 'nix runs across a lot of hardware and thus a test-on-site might be suitable.

tim
—
Give a man a compliment, he’ll feel good for a day.
Teach a man to fish for compliments and he’ll never feel good enough for the rest of his life.