[squeak-dev] Current state of the Arm 64 cog vm

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 16:22:04 UTC 2020

Hi Bruce,

> On Nov 9, 2020, at 6:35 AM, Bruce O'Neel <bruce.oneel at pckswarms.ch> wrote:
>

> Hi,
>
> What's the current state of the ARM 64 cog VM?  Does it build?  If not, what magic is needed...

The Linux build.linux64ARMv8/squeak.cog.spur VM , using a dual-mapped code zone so far works on all 64-bit Linux distros people have tried.  The Apple Silicon port is “in preparation”; I have a developer beta machine, actually a second that I’m trying to setup after an unsuccessful OS upgrade borked the previous one.  The build.macos64ARMv8/squeak.cog.spur VM builds, but because lldb doesn’t yet launch the program I haven’t sorted out the mapping for the code zone there-on, which uses a different scheme because of Apple’s non-standard MAP_JIT map scheme for dynamically generated code. But it should only be a few days of engineering effort away, effort they may take many weeks to complete, given pressure of work.

And the squeak.stack.spur interpreter works on both Linux and MacOS.