[squeak-dev] MethodNodes on Monticello (was: The Inbox: Kernel-ct.1339.mcz)

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Fri Nov 20 14:44:01 UTC 2020

Am Fr., 20. Nov. 2020 um 13:42 Uhr schrieb Thiede, Christoph
<Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de>:

> foo ifTrue: [
>     "do something"
> ] ifFalse: [
>     "do something else"
> ].
>
> [...]
>
> Also, Marcel has argued that it's harder to select the whole block content at once if you have to strip of the brackets before. However, the latter might also be a question of tools.

If you double-click or press Cmd-space on the inside next to either
bracket, it will select the whole block. I believe this will get more
comfortable only with a projectional editor or something like a larger
hotspot to single-click on where you can currently double-click.

Funnily the need for this feature also goes the other way around: I
had to deal with the C-like style above in a legacy code base (plus
sometimes wrong indentation!) and being able to select the whole block
content at once was the only sane way to find the correct matching
bracket... The problem with this style is that you cannot easily
identify the headline of the block because there are no keywords like
if or else to look out for at the *beginning* of the line. And the
cascades of closing brackets take up too much screen space.