[squeak-dev] Development methodology (was: tedious programming-in-the-debugger error needs fixing)

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Thu Oct 1 22:13:26 UTC 2020

Christoph Thiede wrote
>> But, our community is small
>
> That's another good point, I'd love to see more contributions by more
> people
> on the Squeak project! But from my point of view, the mailing-list-based
> workflow is simply a quite conservative approach that might keep many
> potentially interested casual Squeakers away from participating in our
> community. I think the following article provides a very good summary of
> my
> thought on this matter: "Relying on plain-text email is a 'barrier to
> entry'
> for kernel development, says Linux Foundation board member"
> (https://www.theregister.com/2020/08/25/linux_kernel_email/). Marcel
> argued
> that the mailing list works as a filter for keeping unexperienced or
> unqualified people away from our community, but I believe our community is
> too small for throwing away all these possible contributions.

Agreed. Elitism does not help at all. Ask Uncle Bob [1]. Also subscribing to
a mailing list feels somehow different than signing up on Stack Overflow or
GitHub. Some people don't like to get involved in a club just because they
work with something and might want to fix a bug or make some contributions
every now and then. (How nice of them!) Arguably a submission to the Inbox
has hardly any barriers (no need to sign up anywhere), but to get the
feedback, advertise your change, and communicate effectively you have to
sign up.

[1] https://youtu.be/YX3iRjKj7C0?t=2190