[squeak-dev] Weird Pi Squeak slowdown alert

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Oct 1 22:19:16 UTC 2020

This is weird, annoying and driving me nuts. I'm trying everything I can think of to work out what is happening but just in case anybody else here is using Squeak on a Pi4 ...

Since January my Pi 4 has been returning 810 million bc/sc and 60 million-ish sends/sec for the tinyBenchmarks. Recently it has seemed to slow down oddly , back down to Pi 3+ values of 330/29-ish. I haven't found any rhyme or reason for it so far. I don't think it is simply some artefact messing the benchmark either; it definitely feels slower.

A while back I noticed this, did some fiddling and set up FSTRIM on the SSD I use; that seemed to solve the problem at the time but clearly didn't really solve it.

I've done the trivial - rebooting, different vintage of VM, different images, different screen resolution. I've done more involved - trying assorted FSTRIM stuff for the SSD, running from uSD card again, cooling harder. crossing my legs differently.

Nothing seems to make sense. Is anybody else running a Pi 4 with plain old Raspberry Pi OS 32 bit and Squeak?

tim
When all else fails, let a = 7.  If that doesn't help, then read the manual.