[squeak-dev] Curious history

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Oct 2 20:06:39 UTC 2020

On Thu, Oct 01, 2020 at 06:14:58PM -0700, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 5:35 PM tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>

> > > On 2020-10-01, at 4:57 PM, Robert Withers via Squeak-dev <
> > squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > I am curious. Who was the original author of the VMMaker Tool?
> >
> > That would be me; back in exobox days. Written along with the original
> > VMMaker and intended to be an example of clean, tidy, morphic usage. I've
> > no idea if anyone ever uses it now, since running it via scripting has
> > proven more valuable.
> >

> Scripting usage is convenient for generating the whole caboodle, as they
> call it.  But for one off plugin generation I still use it.  It is most
> convenient for that.  Thank you.

+1

I always use it when working on plugins, and I also use it on a regular
basis when working with the classic interpreter VM. A very common thing
that I do is generate the code for the platform I an using (i.e. my own
computer), and the VMMaker tool is perfect for that. Two button clicks
in the image followed by a "make; sudo make install" and I'm on an updated
VM. It's very convenient.

So thank you  :-)

Dave