[squeak-dev] Getting from GitBrowser to the System Browser

Tom Beckmann tomjonabc at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 14:49:20 UTC 2020

 Hi timothy,
(you'll probably be seeing this mail twice, my first attempt bounced on the
ML because my mail address had changed, sorry!)

after I read yours and Eliot's conversation, I went to try loading Roassal3
to see how our Tonel support is doing. I stumbled over three errors:
- The error you just mentioned [1]
- Monticello was not strict enough with matching MCReader capabilities [2]
- The Geometry package used in Roassal uses Unicode symbols in their code,
which is not supported in Squeak [3]

I then went ahead and tried to adapt things a little and got the result you
can see in the attachment. The experiment is found here [4]. I decided to
not load Athena at all and started putting together an alternative Balloon
backend instead (I am aware that Athena has a Balloon backend as well, the
one I found consisted mostly of stubs, however). The resulting quality does
not compare with Cairo, of course, but the basics were up and running very
quickly.

In theory, this should give you the working installation, however, packages
load out-of-order because I did not manage to the baseline quite right just
yet:

Metacello new
    baseline: 'Roassal3';
    repository: 'github://tom95/Roassal3';