[squeak-dev] Getting from GitBrowser to the System Browser

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Sun Oct 4 13:52:30 UTC 2020

Am So., 4. Okt. 2020 um 15:39 Uhr schrieb gettimothy <gettimothy at zoho.com>:

> Where do you guys store your cloned repos? I put mine in git-cache and that appears to conflict with what Metacello gets.

Basically any place goes if it is not already used by something else.
The git-cache directory is "already used by" Metacello.

I have my repositories under a Squeak folder in My Documents, for
example. You could also check them out next to the image if you like.

> Ok, "its a loop" meaning that the MetacelloConfiguration is created from the Git repo with data from the BaselineOfFoo   somehow.

The baseline is manually written by the maintainer of the repository.
Metacello downloads the zip snapshot of the code and reads the
baseline class first, to determine what to load into the image.
Originally Metacello works with baselines and configurations, where
the baselines specify which packages and dependencies there are and
the configurations specify which versions of the stuff from a baseline
to load. But in a Git repository, each commit is exactly one
configuration of the contained packages. That's why only a baseline is
needed for Git projects. This baseline should specify the versions or
branches/commits of the dependencies, though.