[squeak-dev] OnScreenKeyboardMorph :-)

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at leastfixedpoint.com
Tue Oct 6 08:28:36 UTC 2020

Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind!

I gave it a good go yesterday, but don't have enough Morphic chops to
quite get it to work right: the problem was that if I let the ALT
modifier apply to the next click, then there are two possibilities:

 - the next click is to a key on the keyboard
 - the next click is off the keyboard somewhere

Really you only want the synthetic blue-click when it's off the
keyboard, but you don't know that at the time you're synthesising the
event...

It'd be interesting if anyone with more Morphic experience than I could
suggest a good way forward!

I ended up giving up and switching to having three red/yellow/blue
buttons at the bottom of the keyboard that act like shift keys and
require multiple touches simultaneously. (Image attached)

So the keyboard shift/ctrl/alt work as you describe, but only for
entering text. The coloured buttons at the bottom work differently, more
like a real keyboard's shift key, and only for clicking on things.

Also there are lots of weirdnesses around switching projects, so it's
definitely pre-alpha! Also some oddness with scrollbars not being
draggable (though windows are draggable). And for some reason popping up
a halo on the World via a simulated yellow-click results in 100% CPU
usage and a hung image that needs the VM to be interrupted? (And an
unrelated issue, I can't seem to disable balloon help.)

But in the end I feel pretty happy with it. It works surprisingly well
for a day's hacking.

(I just now used the on-screen keyboard to reprogram the on-screen
keyboard to have an escape key! Woo! Final step: OnScreenKeyboardMorph
rebuildFlap, alt-D, reopen the flap... presto, an escape key! Finally, a
programmable cellphone)

Tony