[squeak-dev] Development methodology (was: tedious        programming-in-the-debugger error needs fixing)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Oct 6 19:05:25 UTC 2020

> On 2020-10-06, at 3:47 AM, Christoph Thiede <christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:
>
> Mantis:
>
> I just took another look at bugs.squeak.org again, and I'm sorry but I still
> think that our community deserves a better bug tracking solution than this.

Nobody could ever look at Mantis and honestly call it 'good'. Our use of it pretty much faded away as it good flooded by bug reports that nobody had time to handle. As system like that takes too much effort to maintain unless you have people (like proper project managers etc) that can spend all their time tracking, pushing, tidying, linking, cleaning out and so on.

Git as an entity has some decent aspects for dead-text systems. It can probably be pushed to handle storing code for our needs without breaking too badly. BUT there is no way in hell that its interface is sometihng one would want to intrude into a development system. That's about as good an idea as a commandline version of monticello - if the commands were entered in inverted Braille via dripping hot oil on the back of your hand.

If someone can make a system that provides the reasonably decent user experience of MC (which could certainly be improved) and uses git related backend stuff, sure, go for it. But as a daily driver, it just doesn't do it.

tim
Strange OpCodes: XER: Exclusive ERror