[squeak-dev] highdpi testing

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Thu Oct 8 08:12:35 UTC 2020

Hi

Sorry, I did not see this mail.

> On 01.10.2020, at 14:44, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Tobias,
>

>> On Sep 30, 2020, at 1:11 PM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
>>

>>> On 30.09.2020, at 19:24, Thiede, Christoph <Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Windows, it appears to be a democratic thing - the majority of pixels wins in the question of DPI value. But I'm not absolutely sure about this and cannot test this right now. I don't believe it would be a good idea to override this behavior, even if we could ...
>>
>> Yes.
>> Although I made it modifyable on Unix, just out of tradition that unix leaks every screw…
>>
>> (https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/blob/krono/highdpi-v2/platforms/unix/vm-display-X11/sqUnixX11Scale.c#L182)
>>
>> So, anyone interested in me putting the VM stuff into the main branch?
>
> Yes.  The only issue is backwards compatibility.  If it isn’t backwards compatible it’s time to
> a) do a new release of the 5.x vm
> b) bump the version number of the highdpi vm to 6.x

It's backward compatible in the sense that nothing really breaks, but things are _tiny_ on HighDPI displays and the image might not care.

The best way would be a "handshake" between image and VM, akin to:

- start
- image says: please do high-dpi
- vm says: can do, here you are.

The problem ist that this handshake comes too late.
For OSX, the canvas has to be set up early on and cannot really be changed without grabbing too deep in the guts of the (now three variants of) display handling code.
Windows might be similar.

so there are these quadrants:

x          | old VM  | new VM
-----------+---------+--------
           |         |
old Image  |  OK     | Problem
           |         |
-----------+---------+--------
new Image  |  OK*    |  OK

*The high-dpi code just works fine with a constant scale factor, no probs.

If someone has an Idea except for "roll with it", I'm all ears.

> If it is backwards compatible then what are you waiting for?
>
> If you already did, and that’s why yesterday my Squeak desktop suddenly looked so crisp, then thank you sooo sooo much, if looks *fantastic*!!

Hm, i only have the stuff on the branch, there must be some magic going on ;D

Best regards
	-Tobias