[squeak-dev] (Somewhat off-topic) Xerox Interlisp-D Medley open sourced

Phil B pbpublist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 17:12:59 UTC 2020

Douglas,

It's always good to see historically significant software preserved rather
than bit rotting in darkness.  It's probably not going to have nearly the
impact Squeak did in the open source world since the Lisp world already has
an embarrassment of good implementations (distinct implementations rather
than dialects.  See CCL, which is a direct descendant of MCL, for example)
where Squeak basically had to introduce/resurrect Smalltalk in the open
source world.  With SLIME they've already kinda, sorta stolen some of the
key concepts of the Lisp workstation UIs.  Though this source drop may
inspire some deeper copying on the UI front... we'll see.

Thanks,
Phil