[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Tools-eem.999.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 20:20:31 UTC 2020

Hi Tim,

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 10:46 AM tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> > On 2020-10-13, at 8:23 AM, Stéphane Rollandin <lecteur at zogotounga.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > I guess each of us has his own way to use a workspace. After all, it is
> where one "works", and everybody works differently. So, that several (even
> many) preferences may be needed is not a problem here IMO.
> Yah.
>
> I hate having syntax colouring in workspaces (I'm not a huge fan of it
> anywhere). Workspaces are not only chunks of code; they're note taking
> spaces. My rambling English notes do not get handled all that well.
>
> {Now I'll admit that the idea of extending Shout to do spell/grammar
> checking for plain text might be interesting for non-code stuff. We did
> some very simple spellcheck stuff for the Sophie Project around '05 that
> was quite helpful - the biggest issue was getting a source of the
> spellcheck library. Mac's have it built in, unix has a gazillion competing
> and confusing systems, Windwos required you to buy Office.}
>
> I don't like workspaces remembering variable names because it leaves
> values attached to names in a way that confuses.
>
> Imagine a workspace with
> "
> |foo|
> foo := 4.
> {more stuff}
>

> foo := somethingElse.
>

> foo  wibble
> "
> Depending on whether you select the |foo| you may get very different
> results if you repeat evaluate various lines. I find that annoying.

My hack for handling more than one doit in a workspace is to include each
one in a block.  So I have, e.g.

[| cos |
cos := CogVMSimulator newWithOptions: #(Cogit StackToRegisterMappingCogit
"SimpleStackBasedCogit"
ObjectMemory Spur32BitCoMemoryManager
MULTIPLEBYTECODESETS true),
{#ISA. Cogit choose32BitISA}.
cos openOn: 'spurreader.image'.
cos openAsMorph; halt; run].

[| sis |
sis := StackInterpreterSimulator newWithOptions: #(ObjectMemory
Spur32BitMemoryManager).
sis openOn: 'spurreader.image'.
sis openAsMorph; run].

Of course this doesn't solve the issue of having a syntax error in an
earlier doit turn everything following red, but it does allow one to have
as many "sub doits" with their own temps as one wants.

--
best, Eliot